InsightLinks See the story clearly
Explore News Politics Sports Crime and Metro Local News Entertainment Uncategorized World News Education Osun News
News

President Tinubu postpones FEC meeting, hosts security chiefs Monday

This week’s Federal Executive Council meeting has been postponed to an undisclosed date.   According to reports by Punch, the Council Chamber at the scheduled time, observed that although some ministers were…

This week’s Federal Executive Council meeting has been postponed to an undisclosed date.

 

According to reports by Punch, the Council Chamber at the scheduled time, observed that although some ministers were seated, President Bola Tinubu, his Vice President Kashim Shettima, his Chief of Staff, Mr Femi Gbajabiamila, and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume, were yet to arrive.

 

At about 12:15 pm, some ministers began packing their memos and walking to the exit.

 

One of the ministers, who spoke to The PUNCH on condition of anonymity, said Monday’s meeting had been shifted to a soon-to-be-disclosed date.

 

 

“It is no longer holding today. But you know, the council meets on Mondays only when there are issues to discuss,” the minister said.

 

However, the cabinet member declined to give reasons for the postponement.

 

Nonetheless, Presidency sources who confided in Punch said the first notice of the meeting was disseminated on Sunday night but was postponed hours before noon.

 

 

However, some ministers did not receive the postponement notice on time.

 

“The ministers were not even supposed to come here because the meeting has been postponed. But it appears they got the notice very late.

 

“The meeting itself was impromptu because the notice came out last night,” said one source who asked to remain anonymous.

 

Another source who works closely with the President confirmed that President Tinubu is scheduled to meet with Service Chiefs at 2:00 pm to discuss the nationwide protests, among other matters.

 

“Yes, FEC was postponed, but there will be a security meeting at 2:00 pm,” the source said, glancing at a wristwatch.

 

Reports indicate that Nigerians, mostly youths, are regrouping across the country for the fifth day of the #EndBadGovernanceInNigeria protests.

 

President Tinubu had on Sunday called for dialogue and an immediate end to the nationwide protests that have rocked the nation since Thursday.

 

Tinubu said his administration is ready to listen to and address the protesters’ concerns, affirming that he has heard their calls “loud and clear”.

 

However, protesters have continued their demonstrations in major cities, including Lagos, Abuja, and Kaduna.

 

PUNCH

Advertisement


Story timeline

How this story developed

Story network

Understand the wider story

Connected reporting selected by topic, category and recency.

Continue exploring

Follow the wider story

Discover related reporting, current updates, and the latest stories from InsightLinks.

Latest stories →
Published August 5, 2024
Share Facebook X