A former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, Peter Obi, has urged Nigerians to remain vigilant in the lead-up to the 2027 general elections, stressing that every vote must count and warning against any attempt to undermine the electoral process.
In a post titled “Our Votes Must Count” shared via his official X handle on Monday, Obi encouraged citizens to stay at polling units after casting their ballots to observe the counting and transmission of results. He said active public participation would be vital in safeguarding Nigeria’s democracy.
“Unlike in the past, in 2027 our votes MUST count, and all those who are there not to count the votes will be counted among those destroying Nigeria,” he said.
The former Anambra State governor further called on voters to monitor proceedings at polling centres to ensure transparency and accountability.
“I encourage everyone to remain at the polling units after voting to count and witness the counting and transmission of results,” he said.
Obi also warned that individuals who attempt to obstruct the process would face legal consequences.
“Those who refuse to allow the votes count will be made to count the full weight of the law against rigging,” he stated.
Reaffirming his position, he emphasised that anyone who undermines the integrity of the electoral process would be held accountable for jeopardising the country’s democratic future.
“Let me reiterate: if you do not count our votes, we will count you among those who destroy our democracy, thereby destroying our future, and you must answer to the law,” he said.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) had earlier released the timetable for the elections, scheduling party primaries between May 22 and June 20, 2026, for the nomination of candidates.
According to the commission, the presidential and National Assembly elections will be held on February 20, 2027, while governorship and State Assembly elections are slated for March 6, 2027.
Advertisement
