Electricity workers suspend strike for two weeks

 

The National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE) has agreed to suspend their ongoing strike that has thrown the nation into blackout for two weeks.

Joe Abah, NUEE’s FCT chairman confirmed the development. He said the strike call-off followed a meeting of the union with ministers; labour minister Chris Ngige and his power ministry counterparts; Abubakar Aliyu and Godfrey Jedy-Agba.

Other parties at the parley included officials from the office of the Head of Service, Bureau of Public Enterprises and the Transmission Company of Nigeria.

The gathering agreed to set up a high power delegation to look into issues brought up by the NUEE and report back within two weeks.

”On that premise, we decided to suspend the strike for two weeks pending when the issues will be resolved, ” he said.

A spokesperson for the Ministry of Labour and Employment had earlier confirmed the halting of the strike.

“The Honourable Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige, has apprehended the strike embarked upon by the National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE) following an emergency meeting between the union, government, and other stakeholders,” the labour ministry spokesperson stated in a statement.

“Dr Ngige set up a tripartite committee to look into the grievances of electricity workers towards addressing them,” it added.

Many parts of the country experienced a total power outage on Wednesday as electricity workers led by Joe Ajaero downed tools over an industrial impasse about the promotion of senior officers.

The Transmission Company of Nigeria had earlier on Wednesday confirmed the disruption of its services and the impending intervention of the labour ministry to resolve the dispute.

, , ,