Muslims/Masqueraders Clash: Court remands Esuleke, Chief Imam, Others


An Osun state Magistrate Court sitting in Osogbo on Thursday remanded masquerade’s custodian, Chief Kayode Esuleke; Chief Imam of Kamorudeen Central Mosque, Kazeem Yunus and four others over attack on the mosque where one was shot dead and 14 other worshippers sustained injuries.

The suspects, Kayode Esuleke, Adeosun Kola, Idowu Hakeem, Kareem Yunus, Salawu Jimoh, Alarape Sulaimon and Raimi Saheed were brought to court over the attack.

Counsel from the state ministry of justice, Moses Faremi prayed the Magistrate Asimiyu Adebayo to take charge of the case from the police prosecutor who brought the case to the court.

After his plea was granted by the Magistrate, the state counsel, however, applied for 24 hours adjournment of the matter due to the charge sheet which according to him, cannot proceed with it.

Faremi told the court that the charge sheet contained the offence of murder which is beyond the jurisdiction of the Magistrate court and assault case.

The led counsel to the Kamorudeen Society of Nigeria, Kazeem Babatunde opposed the 24 hours adjournment request by the state prosecutor saying it is “unnecessary” and a waste of time. He then begged the court to read part of the charge sheet after he and the Traditional worshippers’ counsel, Kehinde Abioye had agreed with the state prosecutor on the improper charge sheet.

The counsel to the Islamic group asked the court to maintain the present status quo of the defendants saying the 4th to 7th defendants should remain on administrative bail while the 1st to 3rd should remain in the police custody.

The counsel to the Masquerade worshippers, Abioye opposed the application and asked the court to use its discretion.

The state prosecutor, Faremi told the court, “a crime has been committed and our interest in the ministry of justice is for justice to be served.”

In his ruling, Magistrate Adebayo granted the parties’ prayer on the charge sheet on the need for proper filling and adjourned the case to Monday, 12 for proper hearing.

He, however, ordered the remand of all the six defendants in police custody.