Tragedy struck the third largest market in Borno state on Saturday when two suicide bombers attacked the Biu market, leaving fifteen person dead and over 50 injured.
The Public Relations Officer of Borno state police command, Victor Ishuku revealed that the attack is suspected to be the handwork of the Boko haram members in the region.
The statement read, “Today 2/2/2017 at about 1140hrs, two female suicide bombers infiltrated and gained entry into Biu town in Biu Local Government Area.
“One of the bombers detonated the IED strapped on her body within Biu main market, while the other one detonated hers outside the market square.
“So far, a total of 13 persons excluding the two suicide bombers, have been confirmed killed in the two explosions. While 53 others sustained various degrees of injuries.”
According to him, police patrols/EOD teams led by the Acting Area Commander Biu were promptly mobilised and dispatched to the scene.
He said, “The Corpses and the injured persons have been evacuated to General Hospital Biu.”
He said that normalcy had been restored and the area was safe.