February 18, 2026
Nasir elrufai

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, on Tuesday spent a second night in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), as his legal team intensified efforts to secure his release on bail.

El-Rufai had reported to the EFCC headquarters in Abuja on Monday morning following an invitation over an alleged N432 billion corruption probe linked to his tenure in office between 2015 and 2023. He was subsequently detained as investigators continued questioning him.

A senior EFCC official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, disclosed that the commission was considering obtaining a remand order to extend his detention beyond the statutory 48 hours in order to conclude ongoing investigations.

“Speculations that he has been released are not correct. He remains with us,” the source said, adding that investigators require more time to address issues arising from his eight years in office.

Speaking to journalists, El-Rufai’s counsel, A.U. Mustapha (SAN), confirmed that his client was still in custody but maintained that the former governor had fully cooperated with the anti-graft agency.

According to Mustapha, El-Rufai honoured the invitation voluntarily and should not be considered a flight risk if granted bail.

“He came to Nigeria of his own volition and wrote formally that he would honour the EFCC invitation. He has kept his word and is cooperating fully. We are hopeful that he will be granted bail soon,” the lawyer said.

When asked about the specific allegations, Mustapha declined to comment, insisting that only the EFCC could provide details, as the matter remains confidential.

Assembly Report at Centre of Probe
The investigation stems from a 2024 report by an ad hoc committee of the Kaduna State House of Assembly, chaired by Henry Zacharia, which examined finances, loans and contracts awarded during El-Rufai’s administration.

The committee alleged that several loans secured during the period were not used for their intended purposes. The Speaker of the House, Yusuf Dahiru Leman, had claimed that about N423 billion was allegedly siphoned under the former governor’s administration.

The Assembly recommended that El-Rufai and some former cabinet members be investigated and prosecuted for alleged abuse of office, diversion of public funds, money laundering, contract irregularities and reckless borrowing. Petitions were subsequently forwarded to the EFCC and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission.

El-Rufai has consistently denied the allegations, describing the probe as politically motivated. He insists that all loans obtained during his tenure were properly appropriated and utilised for infrastructure, education, healthcare and security projects.

An EFCC source revealed that the agency had been investigating the matter for nearly a year, noting that suspects are typically invited only after investigations have reached an advanced stage.

In a related development, the Department of State Services has filed criminal charges against El-Rufai at the Federal High Court in Abuja over alleged unlawful interception of the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

The three-count charge, filed under the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024, and the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003, alleges that El-Rufai admitted during a February 13, 2026 appearance on Arise TV that he and unnamed associates intercepted Ribadu’s communications.

The prosecution claims the alleged act compromised national security and created apprehension among Nigerians. He has yet to be formally arraigned on the charges.

As of press time, the EFCC had not issued an official statement on whether it would seek a court order to extend his detention.

Advertisement


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *