May 20, 2026
Gunmen

Suspected gunmen have kidnapped six health workers from a medical facility in Okeijebu, Akure, Ondo State, in the early hours of Saturday, triggering fear among residents.

According to eyewitness accounts, the attackers arrived in a bus at about 2:00 a.m., forcefully gained access to the facility, subdued those on duty, and seized several staff members, including interns working the night shift. A patient who narrowly escaped said the operation was carried out swiftly, leaving little chance for resistance.

“They stormed the hospital in a large bus and took control immediately. Before anyone could react, they gathered the staff on duty and took six of them away,” the witness said.

The victims were reportedly taken to an unknown destination, heightening concerns in the community.

In a related development, operatives of the Ondo State security outfit, Amotekun, carried out overnight operations in Akure South Local Government Area, rescuing three of the abducted health workers.

They also freed two other victims a 45-year-old man and his 15-year-old son who had been kidnapped earlier along the Pelebe area of the Oda-Akure Road between 7:30 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.

The rescue was executed by the Rapid Response Squad around 1:00 a.m. after a confrontation with the kidnappers.

Confirming the development, the state Amotekun commander, Adeleye, said the rescued victims are currently receiving medical attention at the outfit’s health facility in Akure. He assured residents of continued efforts to safeguard lives and property, urging the public to support security agencies with timely information.

As of the time of filing this report, the Ondo State Police Command, through its spokesperson, DSP Jimoh Abayomi, had yet to issue an official statement on the hospital abduction.

Advertisement


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *