The senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, has called on the Federal Government and the Nigeria Immigration Service to apply the principle of reciprocity to visa applications by South African artistes and their teams.
The lawmaker made the call in a statement on Friday, amid controversy over the cancellation of South African singer Tyla’s planned Lagos concert and fresh allegations of unfair treatment of Nigerian artistes in South Africa.
Akpoti-Uduaghan’s intervention followed reports that Nigerian pop star Ayra Starr and members of her team were previously denied entry visas to South Africa, which led to the cancellation of their engagements.
The issue gained traction days after Tyla pulled Lagos from the schedule of her _APOP World Tour_ following boycott calls by some Nigerians over renewed xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.
“I call on the Nigeria Immigration Service and the Federal Government of Nigeria to review the visa applications of South African artistes and their entourages in accordance with the principle of reciprocity in foreign policy,” the senator said.
She added that if the reports about Ayra Starr are confirmed, Nigeria should take matching measures.
“If it is confirmed that our Nigerian artiste Ayra Starr and her team were previously denied entry visas to South Africa, leading to the cancellation of their engagements, then Nigeria should respond with equivalent measures until Nigerian citizens and artistes are accorded fair and respectful treatment,” she stated.
The senator clarified that her position was not targeted at Tyla personally, but at protecting Nigeria’s diplomatic interests.
“This is not a call against Tyla as an individual. Rather, it is a call for Nigeria to uphold the principle of mutual respect that underpins international relations,” she explained.
Akpoti-Uduaghan described reciprocity as a legitimate diplomatic tool, arguing that discriminatory treatment of Nigerians abroad should attract consequences.
“When our citizens face discriminatory or unjust treatment abroad, Nigeria must demonstrate that such actions carry corresponding consequences,” she said.
She further urged the government to ensure Nigeria’s foreign policy safeguards the dignity of citizens worldwide.
“Our foreign policy should protect the dignity of Nigerians everywhere and ensure that respect between nations is mutual, not one-sided,” she added.
*Background*
The debate intensified after _PUNCH Online_ reported on Friday that Tyla removed the December 22 Lagos date from her tour website. Other stops in Europe, North America and South Africa remain unchanged. Neither Tyla nor her management has given a reason for the removal, and promoters have not announced a cancellation or postponement.
The controversy also drew reactions from public figures. Activist Martins Otse, aka VeryDarkMan, threatened to mobilize his “Ratel Movement” to stop the concert, citing ongoing attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.
In contrast, 2027 AAC presidential candidate Omoyele Sowore opposed the boycott, saying Tyla should not be blamed for xenophobic attacks and that grievances should be directed at the appropriate authorities.
The senator’s statement has since sparked mixed reactions online, with many Nigerians debating whether the country should adopt stricter reciprocal visa policies.
Advertisement