A 12-year-old boy, identified simply as Wasiu, tragically lost his life after being struck by a stray bullet during a violent cult clash in the Mushin area of Lagos State.
According to findings by PUNCH Metro on Thursday, the fatal incident took place around 8 p.m. on Wednesday in the Olosha axis, where rival cult gangs were involved in a fierce confrontation.
Reports indicate that Wasiu had stepped out to purchase food from a local vendor, commonly referred to as Iya Ibeji, when sudden gunfire erupted in the vicinity.
A local resident, Tale Amoo, shared with our correspondent that the unexpected gunshots sent residents into a panic, causing many to flee indoors.
“We started hearing sounds of gunshots around 8 pm, and people started running into their homes while business owners closed their shops.
“Meanwhile, Wasiu was waiting to buy food from a vendor called Iya Ibeji when he got caught up in the clash. It was while he also tried to seek refuge that the stray bullet hit him.”
Another community member, who preferred not to be named, said Wasiu’s lifeless body was only discovered after the situation had calmed down.
The resident added that attempts to transport him to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) were unsuccessful due to access issues at the facility.
“The tense situation was the reason why Wasiu did not get medical attention on time because no one knew he had already been hit by a bullet.
“Residents who found him lying on the floor quickly rushed him to LUTH, but their gate was shut. They tried to get through to the other gate, but the presence of the cultists along the route stopped them,” the resident said.
He further explained that the area had been under threat from cult-related violence for several days.
Another anonymous resident said the community endured several hours of sporadic gunfire.
According to him, “The LUTH vicinity in Mushin was under attack by unknown persons as guns rang out for the past three hours. There were gunshots before 8 pm. They killed a child this same time.”
Reacting to the incident, the Vice Chairman of Mushin Local Government, Tubosun Aruwe, issued a statement on Thursday, condemning the act and describing it as both tragic and senseless.
“I am deeply saddened and utterly appalled by the senseless and violent attack that occurred last night in the Olosha area of the Mushin Local Government Area.
“The loss of the innocent life of a 10-year-old child is a tragedy that strikes at the very heart of our humanity,” the statement read in part.
While extending his sympathies to Wasiu’s family and other victims of similar attacks, Aruwe affirmed his commitment to ensuring justice is served.
“My heart goes out to the families of all the victims during this challenging time. I share in your grief and stand with you as we seek justice for these senseless killings,” he added.
He urged security operatives to launch a swift and thorough investigation to bring the culprits to book.
Efforts to reach the Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin, for comments were unsuccessful as calls and messages to his phone went unanswered as of Thursday.
Advertisement
