InsightLinks See the story clearly
Explore News Politics Sports Crime and Metro Local News Entertainment Uncategorized World News Education Osun News
Crime and Metro

Mother, son among four killed in fresh Benue herders’ attack

Suspected armed herders on Wednesday killed four people, including a woman and her son, in separate attacks on Egwuma and Ogbai communities in Agatu Local Government Area of Benue State. Two others…

Suspected armed herders on Wednesday killed four people, including a woman and her son, in separate attacks on Egwuma and Ogbai communities in Agatu Local Government Area of Benue State.

Two others were also reported missing as of the time of the incident.

A local resident of Egwuma, who identified himself as Inalegwu, said the victims were attacked while working on their farms.

He said, “Some Fulani herdsmen attacked Egwuma and Ogbai communities today. They killed a woman and her son who were working on their farm, and also killed two others at the neighbouring Ogbai community. As I am talking to you now, two people are still missing and we are searching for them.”

Confirming the incident, the Chairman of Agatu LGA, Melvin James, condemned the attack, describing it as “senseless and barbaric.”

He said, “This is an unprovoked attack on our people. It’s senseless and barbaric. How could people attack and kill a mother and her son who were working on their farm? The incident happened today (Wednesday) at Egwuma, where they killed an innocent mother and her son, and the other two people were killed at Ogbai community.”

James noted that security operatives had been making efforts to secure the area but were constrained by poor road conditions.

He added, “The security operatives in Agatu have been doing their best to beef up security, but the problem in my council is the bad roads. At the time the incident happened, the security men were on surveillance in other areas.”

When contacted, the spokesperson for the Benue State Police Command, SP Udeme Edet, said she was on tour and had yet to receive an official report on the incident.

She stated, “As you can hear voices underground, we are on tour and I have yet to get the report, but I will get back to you later.”

Similarly, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Security and Internal Affairs, Joseph Har, said he had not received the report and directed inquiries to the local council chairman.

Advertisement


Story timeline

How this story developed

Story network

Understand the wider story

Connected reporting selected by topic, category and recency.

Continue exploring

Follow the wider story

Discover related reporting, current updates, and the latest stories from InsightLinks.

Latest stories → More in Crime and Metro
Published August 21, 2025
Share Facebook X