InsightLinks See the story clearly
Explore News Politics Sports Crime and Metro Local News Entertainment Uncategorized World News Education Osun News
Crime and Metro

Two Nigerians reportedly die in Libya after suspected poisoning

Two Nigerians, identified simply as Collins and Osas, have reportedly died in Tripoli, Libya, in circumstances suspected to be connected to poisoning, PUNCH Metro has gathered. Findings on Saturday revealed that the…

Two Nigerians, identified simply as Collins and Osas, have reportedly died in Tripoli, Libya, in circumstances suspected to be connected to poisoning, PUNCH Metro has gathered.

Findings on Saturday revealed that the pair, who lived in Misrata, had travelled to Tripoli on July 20 in the company of a friend whose identity remains unknown.

According to sources familiar with the matter, after a few days in the city, the friend urged them to return to Misrata with him. Collins and Osas allegedly declined, opting to remain in Tripoli.

A relative of Collins, who spoke to PUNCH Metro, explained that the friend eventually returned to Misrata alone. Not long after, he claimed to have received a call that both men had died under circumstances suspected to involve poisoning.

The source said, “We were told that the three of them lived in Misrata and that they all went to a place called Oshofana in Tripoli to have fun. This was July 20. Although Collins and Osas were not familiar with the place, it was their first time there. They said it is a place where they run different kinds of deals.

“So, after spending four days there, the friend whom they followed to the place said he was about to return to Misrata, but Collins and Osas said they were still going to stay behind. Then, he left them there and went back. It was about two days later that he claimed to have received a call that his two colleagues had died of what was suspected to be food poisoning.”

Another source in Libya told our correspondent that the incident has stirred controversy, with the account of the returning friend raising doubts.

The source said, “Given the nature of what we all know Oshofana to be, the narration of the person they followed to the place raises suspicion. That was what he told us because no one went with them. But some of our colleagues here are not satisfied with his explanation, and they are following up with the ongoing investigation to determine the cause of their death.”

The same source added that the deceased had already been buried in Libya.

When contacted on Sunday, the spokesperson for the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Abdur-Rahman Balogun, said he had no knowledge of the development.

He said, “I am not aware of the incident. Their families can write a petition to us as a commission, and we will work on it.”

Advertisement


Story timeline

How this story developed

Story network

Understand the wider story

Connected reporting selected by topic, category and recency.

Continue exploring

Follow the wider story

Discover related reporting, current updates, and the latest stories from InsightLinks.

Latest stories → More in Crime and Metro
Published August 18, 2025
Share Facebook X