May 20, 2026

 

The Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Rashidi Ladoja, has intensified efforts to curb land grabbing in Ibadan by handing over a suspect to the Oyo State Directorate of the Department of State Services (DSS) over an alleged land-related dispute.

Two other suspects connected to the case are reportedly still at large.

The development followed a prolonged ownership dispute between the Akoto and Ojofeitimi families over a parcel of land located along the ICAST axis in the Elebu area of Ibadan.

This was disclosed in a statement issued on Wednesday in Ibadan by the monarch’s media aide, Adeola Oloko.

According to the statement, both families had earlier approached the Olubadan to intervene in the matter, with the Akoto family claiming a portion of the land, while the Ojofeitimi family insisted that the entire land belonged to them.

Oloko explained that following petitions submitted to the palace, the Olubadan-in-Council invited the parties to a meeting last month and directed them to submit survey plans and relevant documents to establish ownership.

The monarch also reportedly warned the parties against threats, encroachment or further development on the disputed land pending the conclusion of investigations.

The dispute reached a climax on Tuesday when the families were summoned to the Olubadan Palace at Oke-Aremo, Ibadan, for the presentation of the investigation report.

At the meeting, the council reportedly ruled that the land occupied by the Ojofeitimi family rightfully belonged to them, dismissing the claim made by the Akoto family.

Presenting the findings, the Oyo State Chairman of the Nigerian Institution of Estate Surveyors and Valuers, Ajibade Bolanle, said an independent survey and records obtained from the state Ministry of Lands confirmed the Ojofeitimi family’s ownership.

He added that the Ojofeitimi family’s survey plan carried an official red copy, while the document presented by the Akoto family lacked statutory validation.

Oloko further stated that tension rose during the meeting after two of the three Akoto family representatives failed to show up for the presentation, raising suspicion among council members.

The situation was said to have worsened following allegations that one Kunle Ojofeitimi was assaulted during the investigation period, despite the Olubadan’s warning that peace must be maintained.

The victim was reportedly treated at Adeoyo State Hospital, while the incident was also reported to the police.

“Subsequently, one suspect was apprehended and handed over to the DSS, while efforts are ongoing to arrest the two others said to be at large,” Oloko said.

The statement added that several dignitaries were present at the meeting, including the Osi Olubadan, Oba Abiodun Kola-Daisi; Asipa Olubadan, Oba Hamidu Ajibade; Asipa Balogun, Oba Abiodun Azeez Agagagugu; Ekerin Balogun, Oba Mobolaji Akeem Adewoyin; Aare Mayegun of Ibadanland, Chief Bayo Oyero; and the President-General of the Central Council of Ibadan Indigenes, Chief Niyi Ajewole, among others.

The PUNCH recalled that the Olubadan had on October 14, 2025, inaugurated a five-member committee to address land grabbing and related offences in the city.

The committee, set up to tackle the issue from a legal perspective, includes Senior Advocates of Nigeria, Niyi Akintola and Musibau Adetunbi, alongside Yinka Okunade, Rahman AbdulRaheem and Tunji Thomas.

Ladoja had also granted the committee permission to co-opt professionals from relevant fields, including town planning, surveying, security agencies, as well as members of the bar and bench, to strengthen its work.

Advertisement


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *