InsightLinks See the story clearly
Explore News Politics Sports Crime and Metro Local News Entertainment Uncategorized World News Education Osun News
Uncategorized

OOUTH resident doctors suspend warning strike after government assurance

The Association of Resident Doctors (ARD) at the Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital (OOUTH), Sagamu, Ogun State, has suspended its ongoing 10-day warning strike following assurances from the Ogun State Government that…

The Association of Resident Doctors (ARD) at the Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital (OOUTH), Sagamu, Ogun State, has suspended its ongoing 10-day warning strike following assurances from the Ogun State Government that outstanding professional allowances would be paid on or before July 31, 2026.

The decision was reached after an emergency congress meeting of the association held on Wednesday at the ARD Lounge in the hospital.

In a statement made available to journalists on Thursday, the ARD President, Dr. John Omotoso, said the suspension followed engagements with top government officials, including the Secretary to the State Government, Mr. Tokunbo Talabi, and the Head of Service, Mr. Olanrewaju Iskeel Saka, in the presence of the Ogun State leadership of the Nigeria Medical Association (NMA).

According to Omotoso, members resolved to suspend the industrial action after reviewing the progress made on their demands and receiving assurances that the professional allowance would be paid within the stipulated timeframe.

“Following a thorough appraisal of the association’s demands and the progress made thus far, Congress resolved to suspend the ongoing industrial action, with the expectation that payment of the Professional Allowance will be effected and reflected in members’ accounts on or before July 31, 2026,” he said.

He added that resident doctors were directed to resume duties by 8 a.m. on Thursday, June 25, 2026.

The ARD president disclosed that the association would convene an Emergency General Meeting on August 1, 2026, to assess compliance with the agreement and determine its next course of action.

He also warned against any form of victimisation, intimidation or harassment of doctors arising from the strike, urging affected members to report such incidents to the association for appropriate action.

The association commended the intervention of Governor Dapo Abiodun’s administration in addressing issues capable of disrupting healthcare delivery and residency training programmes at the state-owned teaching hospital.

The resident doctors had embarked on the warning strike on Tuesday over the non-payment of revised professional and specialist allowances, delayed release of residency training funds and worsening welfare conditions.

They had argued that despite the expiration of a 14-day ultimatum earlier issued to the state government, no Memorandum of Understanding had been signed and no firm commitment made regarding the implementation and payment of the revised allowances and outstanding arrears.

Other concerns raised by the doctors included delays in the payment of the 2026 Medical Residency Training Fund, critical manpower shortages leading to excessive workload and burnout, insecurity within the hospital environment, poor accommodation and call-room facilities, as well as inadequate provision of call meals for resident doctors.

Advertisement


Story timeline

How this story developed

Story network

Understand the wider story

Connected reporting selected by topic, category and recency.

Continue exploring

Follow the wider story

Discover related reporting, current updates, and the latest stories from InsightLinks.

Latest stories → More in Uncategorized
Published June 25, 2026
Share Facebook X