Political parties and governorship candidates in Osun State on Thursday signed a peace accord ahead of the off-cycle governorship election, with stakeholders calling for peaceful campaigns and violence-free polls.
The peace accord, organised by the National Peace Committee, brought together political leaders, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), security agencies, traditional rulers and other stakeholders to reaffirm their commitment to a peaceful electoral process.
However, the ceremony was marred by fresh accusations and counter-accusations between Governor Ademola Adeleke and the All Progressives Congress (APC) over the recent wave of political violence in the state.
Addressing the gathering, Governor Adeleke said he attended the peace accord signing out of respect for the National Peace Committee despite what he described as sustained attacks on his administration, supporters and residents of the state.
“It is on a sad note that I welcome our peace leaders to Osun State,” the governor said.
“Our gathering is to endorse peace, but my government and people are facing police-sanctioned violence, intimidation. War is being waged actively against my people by Osun APC, openly supported by the Osun State Police Command.”
The governor alleged that eight members of his party had been killed in the last three months, while more than 20 others sustained injuries in gun attacks, adding that no prosecution had been carried out despite what he said was available evidence.
Adeleke further alleged that several government officials and members of his party had been arrested and transferred outside the state, urging the National Peace Committee to prevail on the Inspector-General of Police to return those in custody to Osun State for prosecution, where necessary.
“On behalf of Osun State and for the sake of the rule of law, I ask the Peace Committee to prevail upon the Inspector General of Police to return everyone in police custody. Those remanded in prison should be returned to Osun State and be charged to court in Osun State, if the police can show that they have committed any crime,” he said.
The governor also appealed to the committee to intervene with President Bola Tinubu over what he described as growing insecurity and political violence in the state.
In his remarks, the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi, Ojaja II, urged politicians and their supporters to place the interest of Osun State above partisan politics and ensure that the election is conducted peacefully.
“Power belongs to the people,” the monarch said.
“Osun is bigger than all of us.”
The Ooni urged eligible voters to exercise their civic rights peacefully and resist any attempt to influence their votes.
“Whoever you choose to vote for, please go there peacefully, cast your vote. Do not embrace violence. Do not follow anybody to do violence. Go back home peacefully,” he said.
He commended the National Peace Committee for its efforts in promoting peaceful elections across the country and expressed confidence that INEC would conduct a credible governorship election.
Speaking with journalists after the event, the APC deputy governorship candidate, Adedireti Benjamin Kayode, described the peace accord as a commendable initiative but accused Governor Adeleke of making what he termed false allegations against the opposition.
“The programme is a laudable programme led by eminent Nigerians who are embodiments of peace,” Kayode said.
“The only unfortunate part of the programme is giving Governor Ademola Adeleke an opportunity to cry wolf once again.”
Kayode alleged that the governor was responsible for the political violence in the state and claimed that members of the APC had also been victims of attacks.
He, however, maintained that the APC remained committed to peaceful participation in the election.
“APC is a party of peace. We are a party of progress. We are a party of development. Crisis is not part of our values,” he said.
“The blood of any Osun citizen or any Osun indigene is not worth the election of any political office holder. We will continue to preach peace and stand by peace.”
He called on residents to participate peacefully in the election, saying, “Vote, not fight. Vote, not kill. Vote, not destroy.”
The signing of the peace accord reaffirmed the commitment of political parties, candidates and key stakeholders to conduct issue-based campaigns, reject electoral violence and work towards a peaceful, free and credible governorship election in Osun State.
Advertisement