InsightLinks See the story clearly
Explore News Politics Sports Crime and Metro Local News Entertainment Uncategorized World News Education Osun News
News

Reps order IGP to produce alleged fake agency DG within 48 hours

The House of Representatives Committee investigating the activities of the controversial Presidential Foreign Investment Promotion Council (PFIPC) has directed the Inspector-General of Police, Tunji Disu, to produce the organisation’s self-acclaimed Director-General, Adeyemi…

The House of Representatives Committee investigating the activities of the controversial Presidential Foreign Investment Promotion Council (PFIPC) has directed the Inspector-General of Police, Tunji Disu, to produce the organisation’s self-acclaimed Director-General, Adeyemi Adeniyi, before lawmakers within 48 hours.

The directive was issued on Monday during the committee’s resumed investigative hearing at the National Assembly Complex in Abuja.

Representing the Inspector-General of Police, Assistant Commissioner of Police Bashir Abdullahi appeared before the committee and was instructed to ensure Adeyemi’s appearance by noon on Wednesday to assist lawmakers in their ongoing probe.

The committee is investigating how the PFIPC, which lawmakers say has no legal backing, allegedly secured office accommodation at the Phase III Federal Secretariat Complex in Abuja and was allocated ₦1.32 billion in the 2026 Appropriation Act.

The order followed submissions by the Nigeria Police Force, which confirmed that its investigation stemmed from petitions submitted by the Office of the Chief of Staff to the President. The petitions alleged that Adeyemi falsely presented himself as the Director-General of both the Presidential Economic Advisory Council and the Presidential Foreign Investment Promotion Council.

Chairman of the committee, Yusuf Gagdi, said Adeyemi’s appearance had become necessary because of the gravity of the allegations and the institutions allegedly affected.

“This committee clearly needs the suspected DG to appear before it. People’s names are involved. People’s integrity is involved. Institutional names are involved. Institutional integrity is involved,” Gagdi said.

“It is not an option now. We need him here to confirm some documents in a way that will not undermine our investigation and enable us to submit our report on time.”

The committee subsequently directed its clerk to formally notify the Inspector-General of Police of its resolution.

“The committee hereby resolves that the Inspector-General of Police do kindly present Mr Adeyemi on Wednesday by 12 noon. That is the ruling of the committee,” Gagdi declared.

Earlier, ACP Abdullahi informed lawmakers that the police had already filed an eight-count charge against Adeyemi at the Federal High Court following an earlier investigation.

“The Nigerian Police Force investigated part of this case late last year and filed eight-count charges before a Federal High Court. The case is ongoing,” he said.

He disclosed that the suspect had been arrested and arraigned but declined to reveal details of the investigation, warning that doing so could prejudice the ongoing court proceedings.

“We don’t want to say things that are under investigation. It is definitely going to prejudice the ongoing investigation and make people have opinions that may prejudge the outcome of an investigation or judicial decision,” Abdullahi stated.

During the hearing, police investigators confirmed receiving petitions alleging that Adeyemi fraudulently claimed to head both the Presidential Economic Advisory Council and the PFIPC.

According to the police, the suspect allegedly used the purported office to obtain accommodation at the Federal Secretariat, sought approval to recruit about 300 personnel, attempted to secure a $1.3 billion allocation in the 2026 budget for the non-existent agency and planned to organise a World Investment Summit under the platform of the council.

A major moment during the hearing came when the committee compared signatures on documents allegedly issued from the Office of the Chief of Staff to the President with authentic signatures obtained by investigators.

Asked whether the signatures matched, the police witness replied, “They are not the same.”

The committee said the discrepancy strengthened suspicions that several official government documents had been forged.

Gagdi revealed that investigators had identified about 29 allegedly forged documents, including purported approvals from the State House, the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, the Ministry of Finance and other government institutions.

He noted that representatives of many of the affected agencies had already appeared before the committee and denied issuing the documents attributed to their offices.

The lawmaker, however, stressed that the committee would continue to avoid actions that could interfere with the police investigation while proceeding with its own inquiry.

He added that the committee’s final report could recommend further action by relevant security agencies.

Advertisement


Story timeline

How this story developed

Story network

Understand the wider story

Connected reporting selected by topic, category and recency.

Continue exploring

Follow the wider story

Discover related reporting, current updates, and the latest stories from InsightLinks.

Latest stories → More in News
Published July 27, 2026
Share Facebook X