InsightLinks See the story clearly
Explore News Politics Sports Crime and Metro Local News Entertainment Uncategorized World News Education Osun News
News

FG Vows to Rescue Abducted Oyo, Borno Pupils, Says School Attacks Threaten Nigeria’s Future

The Federal Government has reaffirmed its commitment to securing the release of school children and teachers abducted in recent attacks in Oyo and Borno states, describing the incidents as a direct assault…

The Federal Government has reaffirmed its commitment to securing the release of school children and teachers abducted in recent attacks in Oyo and Borno states, describing the incidents as a direct assault on Nigeria’s future and educational system.

The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, gave the assurance on Thursday during a special national security press briefing themed “Unite Against Terror” held at Radio House in Abuja.

The minister’s remarks followed the abduction of dozens of schoolchildren in Oyo State and renewed attacks by terrorists in parts of Borno State.

On May 15, gunmen reportedly abducted 40 pupils during coordinated attacks on Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota Community Grammar School, and L.A. Primary School, Esiele, all located in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.

The attack also claimed the lives of a mathematics teacher, Michael Oyedokun, a motorcyclist, and a security operative who participated in rescue efforts.

Describing the incidents as deeply troubling, Idris said attacks on schools represent more than crimes against individuals and communities.

“This press briefing comes at a sobering moment in our nation’s history. Recent events in Oyo and Borno states have once again tested our collective resolve as a people,” he said.

“The abduction of innocent schoolchildren and their teachers is not merely an attack on families or communities; it is an attack on the future of our nation, on education, and on the values that bind us together as Nigerians.”

Speaking on behalf of President Bola Tinubu, the minister assured affected families that the Federal Government had made the safe return of all victims a top priority.

According to him, President Tinubu has ordered security agencies to deploy every lawful means available to secure the release of those still in captivity.

“The President has made it clear that no child belongs in captivity and that no effort will be spared in ensuring that those responsible for these heinous crimes are brought to justice,” Idris said.

He disclosed that a specialised rescue team had already been deployed and that the President had also approved the recruitment of 1,000 forest guards to strengthen security across vulnerable communities and forest areas.

Although he declined to reveal operational details, the minister stated that the Armed Forces, Department of State Services, Nigeria Police Force, National Intelligence Agency, Office of the National Security Adviser, and the National Counter Terrorism Centre were working closely together on rescue efforts.

He added that intelligence gathering, aerial surveillance, community engagement, and search-and-rescue operations were continuing without interruption.

Idris noted that the Tinubu administration was pursuing a comprehensive, intelligence-driven security strategy that extends beyond military operations.

According to him, one of the key components of the administration’s reforms is the implementation of state policing aimed at strengthening community-level security.

He said the President remains committed to building a policing structure that is more flexible, responsive, and capable of addressing local security challenges.

Providing updates on ongoing military operations, Idris said security forces had recorded significant successes against terrorists, bandits, kidnappers, and other criminal groups since May 2023.

In the North-East, troops of Operation Hadin Kai have continued to intensify operations against Boko Haram and ISWAP insurgents.

The minister revealed that Nigerian Army and Air Force personnel recently repelled several terrorist infiltration attempts along the Kirawa-Pulka and Ngoshe corridors in Borno State.

He disclosed that follow-up operations led to the elimination of more than 50 terrorists, including high-profile commanders.

According to him, military records indicate that approximately 1,000 terrorists, including several commanders, were neutralised during the first quarter of 2026.

He further stated that a joint Nigeria-United States-supported operation carried out in May disrupted terrorist logistics networks and eliminated key ISWAP leaders.

Security forces also rescued 92 civilians held captive by terrorists near Buratai in Borno State.

The minister said intensified military and police operations across the North-West and North-Central regions had increased pressure on bandit groups and kidnapping syndicates operating in states such as Zamfara, Sokoto, Katsina, Kaduna, Niger, Kwara, and Kogi.

Several criminal camps, he said, have been dismantled, while numerous suspects have been arrested through intelligence-led operations.

He also highlighted ongoing security operations in the South-East and South-South, targeting criminal networks, oil thieves, and economic saboteurs.

According to Idris, enhanced maritime security operations by the Nigerian Navy have contributed to a significant reduction in oil theft, leading to an increase of about 400,000 barrels in daily crude oil production since President Tinubu assumed office.

The minister also pointed to recent successes in terrorism-related prosecutions.

He referenced the conviction and death sentence handed down by a Federal High Court in Abuja to four terrorists involved in the June 2022 attack on St. Francis Catholic Church in Owo, Ondo State.

The judgment, he said, demonstrates that terrorism is being confronted both on the battlefield and through the judicial system.

He added that Nigeria had commenced one of its largest terrorism prosecution exercises, with over 500 suspects currently standing trial for terrorism-related offences.

According to data from the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation, 508 terrorism cases were recently brought before the courts, resulting in 386 convictions.

Idris commended the collaboration between the Federal Government and state authorities, particularly in efforts to rescue victims of the Oyo school abductions.

He disclosed that President Tinubu has maintained close communication with Oyo State Governor, , with both levels of government coordinating intelligence sharing and rescue operations.

Similar cooperation, he noted, is ongoing in Borno State among federal agencies, the state government, and local authorities.

The minister argued that long-term security would require not only military action but also economic development and inclusive growth.

He said the administration’s economic reforms, investments in infrastructure, housing, transportation, healthcare, and power supply were aimed at creating opportunities and reducing the conditions that often fuel insecurity.

According to him, the Renewed Hope Agenda seeks to create an environment where farmers, traders, artisans, entrepreneurs, students, and professionals can thrive.

Idris urged Nigerians to support security agencies by providing credible intelligence and reporting suspicious activities.

He also called on journalists to report responsibly and avoid amplifying terrorist propaganda.

“The fight against insecurity cannot be won by any single institution acting alone,” he said.

“Terrorists thrive on fear, division, misinformation and public despair. Their objective is not only to kidnap or kill; it is to weaken national unity and undermine confidence in our institutions.”

Addressing families of those still in captivity, the minister conveyed President Tinubu’s assurance that the government remained fully committed to securing the release of every victim.

“Nigeria has faced difficult moments before and emerged stronger,” he said.

“We shall defeat terrorism, protect our schools, safeguard our children, and continue to build a nation where every Nigerian can live, learn, work and prosper in peace.”

Advertisement


Story timeline

How this story developed

Story network

Understand the wider story

Connected reporting selected by topic, category and recency.

Continue exploring

Follow the wider story

Discover related reporting, current updates, and the latest stories from InsightLinks.

Latest stories → More in News
Published June 4, 2026
Share Facebook X