The National Association of Nigerian Students has disclosed that the management of Obafemi Awolowo University may reduce the recently announced three-week mid-semester break and has agreed to allow students currently residing in hostels to remain on campus.
This development followed a high-level meeting between NANS Southwest Zone D and the university authorities over welfare concerns arising from the break and fears of student eviction.
In a statement issued on Friday by the NANS Southwest Coordinator, Adeyemo Josiah, the association said it stepped in after many students were left stranded due to the sudden announcement.
According to the statement, the university management, led by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Administration), Akinfala Oluropo, agreed to halt any forced eviction from hostels.
“Management agreed that students who are currently on campus and residing in their hostels will be allowed to remain until the official resumption date, recognising that many students were already stranded and unable to secure alternative accommodation within such a limited time,” the statement read.
The student body added that authorities also assured uninterrupted provision of basic amenities during the break.
“Management further assured that water and electricity supply will be provided and sustained in all halls of residence housing students who remain on campus throughout the break period,” NANS said.
Addressing transportation issues that triggered the protests, NANS said the university acknowledged the challenges and pledged improvements.
“Management acknowledged the burden placed on students due to limited campus mobility and agreed to provide additional buses to ease transportation difficulties within the university community,” the statement added.
On the duration of the break, NANS revealed that discussions are ongoing to shorten it.
“Management acknowledged the concerns raised and agreed to present the proposal for reducing the break period to one week before the University Senate, where a final decision will be taken,” it said.
Regarding the planned renovation of Awolowo Hall, the institution clarified that work has not yet begun and assured that students would be given adequate notice and alternatives before any displacement.
“It was further agreed that whenever renovation activities are scheduled to begin, proper planning and adequate notice will be given to affected students, including necessary arrangements to ensure that no student is displaced without structured alternatives,” the statement noted.
The situation followed a directive by the university for a three-week break after protests over transportation and welfare concerns escalated into road blockages and safety issues.
Students had earlier staged a 72-hour lecture boycott between April 14 and April 16, 2026, over mobility challenges linked to the introduction of compressed natural gas buses, reportedly facilitated by the First Lady, Oluremi Tinubu.
While the initiative was intended to improve transportation, students complained of long queues, delays, and restricted movement, which led to widespread dissatisfaction and protests.
NANS described the outcome of its engagement with the university as a positive step toward restoring stability.
“These commitments represent significant progress toward restoring stability and protecting student welfare within the institution,” the statement added.
Advertisement