The Ondo State Security Network Agency, popularly known as the Amotekun Corps, has arrested 28 suspects for their alleged involvement in various criminal activities across the state, including kidnapping, armed banditry, robbery, cultism, rape and theft.
Among those arrested are a 56-year-old man, identified as Iliasu, and his three sons — Usman, 33, Wahab, 27, and Yakubu, 18 — who were allegedly linked to the abduction of a man in Oba Akoko, Akoko South-West Local Government Area.
Addressing journalists at the Amotekun headquarters in Akure on Tuesday, the Corps Commander, Akogun Adetunji Adeleye, alleged that the father and his sons had been involved in kidnapping operations while disguising their activities under cattle rearing.
According to Adeleye, the suspects had been under surveillance since 2024 over alleged kidnapping incidents in the state’s Northern Senatorial District before they were apprehended during a recent operation.
“There is a particular suspect that we have been trailing since 2024 over kidnapping activities in the Northern Senatorial District. I am glad to let you know that the long arm of the law finally caught up with him during an operation we carried out in the last four days,” he said.
The commander explained that the victim was abducted while travelling to Oba Akoko and that his family initially paid the ransom demanded by the kidnappers without notifying security agencies.
He said the abductors allegedly refused to free the victim despite receiving the ransom and warned the family against reporting the incident, prompting them to later seek the intervention of the Amotekun Corps.
“After collecting the ransom, they still refused to release the victim, which eventually prompted the family to report the case to the Amotekun office. We immediately swung into action. At the end of the day, we found that a father and his three sons were directly involved, using cattle as a cover,” Adeleye stated.
He added that the suspects allegedly attacked Amotekun operatives during the rescue mission, while the victim sustained machete and knife injuries before he was rescued and taken to hospital for treatment.
Adeleye disclosed that operatives recovered more than 75 per cent of the ransom, alongside suspected hard drugs, alcoholic beverages, cigarettes and a blindfold allegedly used on the victim.
The commander also announced the arrest of several other suspects across the state over various offences.
According to him, Musa and Aruna were arrested in Owo over alleged kidnapping-related offences, while Mohammed, Tekasu, Rabi, Abubakar, Saibu, Kalij and Adamu were apprehended for alleged armed banditry.
He added that Ayodele, 26, Oluwatobi, 24, and Michael, 34, were arrested over alleged illegal possession of firearms, robbery and cultism, while another suspect, Olagi, was arrested in connection with alleged rape and stealing.
In Akure South, Idowu and Taiwo were arrested over the alleged theft of a generator, while Olatunde, 39, Abdul, 27, and Amodu David were apprehended for allegedly conspiring to steal food items.
Adeleye further disclosed that Akpaba Felix, 30, Agbonuma Abigail, 25, Mak, 24, Kelvin, 24, Kuma, 27, and Tuk, 24, were arrested in Oke-Ijebu, Akure, over alleged conspiracy and breach of peace.
Reaffirming the agency’s commitment to tackling insecurity, Adeleye warned that criminals would no longer find safe haven anywhere in the state.
“What we want to make clear is that there is no hiding place for criminals again, both in the forests and in the towns.
“The Amotekun Corps has been strategically positioned across all parts of the state to ensure that commuters and residents can go about their lawful activities without molestation,” he said.
Advertisement