Tension gripped the Osogbo campus of Osun State University after soldiers allegedly invaded students’ halls of residence and assaulted several occupants during an incident that occurred on Monday evening.
According to accounts from students and university authorities, the soldiers, reportedly attached to the Nigerian Army Depot Osogbo, allegedly stormed the hostels and subjected students to physical assault while confiscating personal belongings.
Students claimed that more than 60 mobile phones and other electronic devices were seized during the operation.
Some female students also alleged that they were forced to undress and subjected to degrading treatment, while male students and other residents were reportedly beaten.
There were also allegations that some of those targeted were wearing clothing or caps with army-style colours.
An allegation of sexual assault involving a female student also emerged following the incident. However, as of the time of reporting, university authorities said the claim had not been independently confirmed and no victim had been officially identified.
Reacting to the development, Vice Chancellor of the university, Clement Adebooye, visited some of the affected hostels and disclosed that the matter had been formally reported to the Army authorities.
He expressed concern over the development, noting that the presence of the Army facility near the campus had previously been viewed as a security advantage for the institution.
The university’s Public Relations Officer, Ademola Adesoji, said preliminary findings showed that many students were affected by the incident, with more than 20 victims already identified.
According to him, some female students alleged inappropriate physical contact, while several male students also sustained injuries during the attack.
He added that two students were hospitalised following the incident, although one had been discharged as of Tuesday morning.
Adesoji further stated that three individuals linked to the incident had been identified and brought to the university for further engagement, while discussions with military authorities were ongoing.
The university maintained that investigations were continuing and reiterated that the allegation of rape had not yet been confirmed.
Advertisement