The Federal Government has expressed dissatisfaction with the quality of work being carried out by Wizchino Engineering Limited on the Keffi–Nasarawa–Toto–Abaji road project in Nasarawa State.
The government also raised concerns over the slow pace of the construction despite funds already released to ensure steady progress on the project.
Speaking with journalists on Friday after inspecting ongoing Federal Government road projects across Nasarawa State, the Federal Controller of Works in the state, Ishaku Mamri, said the contractor had repeatedly failed to comply with required specifications.
According to him, the road construction policy of the Federal Ministry of Works is aimed at ensuring that roads built across the country are durable and capable of serving Nigerians for many years.
Mamri said he had issued several instructions to the contractor on how the project should be executed, but the company had not adhered to them.
“To be honest, I’m disappointed with the contractors. The work is not being done as it should. When we give them directives on what to do, they ignore them and carry on in their own way. This is not acceptable,” he said.
He added that the matter had already been reported to the ministry’s headquarters, where the contractor had earlier promised to improve performance, but no significant changes had been noticed since then.
Also reacting, the Chairman of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Nasarawa State Council, Salihu Alkali, urged the Minister of Works, David Umahi, to revoke the contract due to the poor quality of work, slow progress and use of substandard equipment.
Alkali criticised the handling of the project, describing it as unacceptable and a disservice to both the Federal Government and residents of the state.
“Government spending should be accounted for. It is unacceptable to see bitumen being poured on the road with watering cans,” he said.
Similarly, the Nasarawa State Commissioner for Works, Housing and Transport, Mu’azu Adamu Gosho, expressed concern over the slow pace of the project, noting that the road is of major importance to the state and its residents.
He stressed the need for the contractor to speed up work, especially with the rainy season approaching, warning that the bad sections of the road could worsen if urgent steps are not taken.
Meanwhile, the Federal Ministry of Works has assured that the ongoing 15-kilometre Lafia bypass linking Makurdi and the South-East region will be completed soon.
Mamri said the project, which was initially scheduled for completion within 48 months, has reached about 92.6 per cent completion and is expected to be ready for use by the end of March 2026.
He added that the project had undergone several engineering integrity checks by professional regulatory bodies and commended the Minister of Works for prioritising quality and timely delivery of road projects nationwide.
Advertisement