Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa of Ondo State has expressed dissatisfaction with a recent court ruling that declared him ineligible to contest the 2028 governorship election, describing the decision as premature and an unnecessary distraction from his duties.
The governor made this known on Thursday during an appearance on Politics Today, a programme on Channels Television. According to him, discussions about the 2028 off-cycle governorship election are coming too early, especially since he only recently secured a fresh mandate from voters.
Aiyedatiwa said it would be more appropriate to consider such constitutional questions closer to the next election cycle.
He explained that his primary focus at the moment is to fulfil the mandate given to him by the people following his victory in the November 16, 2024 governorship election.
“I went through a free and fair election and emerged victorious. The mandate is still fresh, and my attention is on delivering good governance to the people,” he said.
The governor also acknowledged that he is aware of the constitutional provision limiting a governor’s tenure to eight years but noted that he had not yet begun considering how the rule might affect his political future.
He described the legal challenge as a distraction, adding that he had only recently navigated intense political challenges, including an impeachment attempt, before securing his electoral victory.
Aiyedatiwa also dismissed suggestions that the lawsuit was connected to internal political conflicts or that he was involved in forcing members out of the All Progressives Congress (APC). According to him, the party remains strong and dominant in the state, emphasising that politics ultimately depends on popular support.
Earlier on Thursday, the Federal High Court sitting in Akure ruled that Aiyedatiwa would not be eligible to seek another term in 2028. The case was filed by APC chieftain Akin Egbuwalo, who asked the court to interpret Section 137(3) of the 1999 Constitution of Nigeria regarding the eligibility of the governor and his deputy, Olayide Adelami.
In the judgment delivered by Justice Toyin Adegoke, the court held that the governor’s tenure timeline would exceed the constitutional limit of eight years in office. Aiyedatiwa was first sworn in on December 27, 2023, following the death of the former governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, before later winning the 2024 governorship election and being inaugurated in February 2025.
The court relied on the Supreme Court’s precedent in Marwa v. Nyako, which states that a president, vice-president, governor or deputy governor cannot remain in office for more than eight years.
Advertisement