May 19, 2026
AFP__20250616__62LN9BW__v1__Preview__FblWcClub2025Match06ChelseaLafc-1

Chelsea midfielder Enzo Fernandez will be absent from the club’s Premier League showdown against Manchester City, despite apologising for recent comments that sparked controversy.

Chelsea manager Liam Rosenior confirmed that the midfielder will serve a two-match internal suspension imposed by the club after he openly expressed admiration for Real Madrid during an interview.

The remarks, made during the international break, triggered speculation about a possible move to the Spanish giants, prompting disciplinary action from Chelsea.

Although Fernandez has since apologized to both the manager and the club, Rosenior said the decision to sanction him will stand.

“I’ve had several conversations with him. He’s apologized, but we made a decision and we will stick with it,” the coach said.

The Argentine already missed Chelsea’s dominant 7-0 FA Cup win over Port Vale, and there had been hopes his punishment might be reduced. However, the club has opted to maintain its stance in a bid to uphold discipline within the squad.

Rosenior clarified that the move was not a judgment on Fernandez’s character but rather a step to enforce standards.

Chelsea head into the crucial fixture sitting sixth in the league table, just a point behind Liverpool FC in the race for Champions League qualification.

Despite the setback, Rosenior remains focused on the task ahead, describing the match against Manchester City as a key test in their push for a top-five finish. Fernandez is expected to return to the squad after serving his suspension.

Advertisement


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *