A faction of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) has expressed concern that a recent directive by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) could prevent the party from fielding candidates in upcoming elections.
In a statement issued on Monday, the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi, said the situation arose after INEC stopped receiving correspondence from the ADC pending the outcome of a case before the Federal High Court.
According to Abdullahi, the decision places the party in a difficult position, as it may be unable to meet key legal requirements set by the Electoral Act.
He explained that INEC had previously recognised the party’s leadership following its National Executive Committee meeting held on July 29, 2025. The meeting, he said, was monitored by the commission, which subsequently updated its records to reflect a new leadership led by former Senate President David Mark as National Chairman and former Osun State governor Rauf Aregbesola as National Secretary.
Abdullahi noted that the commission’s own affidavit before the court also affirmed the legitimacy of the leadership transition, making its current stance contradictory.
Despite this, he said INEC’s refusal to accept communication from the party could make it impossible for the ADC to comply with statutory deadlines, including the submission of documents required for candidate nominations.
“The commission has fixed May 10 as the deadline for submissions, yet it is refusing to receive our correspondence within that same period,” Abdullahi said, warning that the situation could lead to what he described as “forced non-compliance.”
He argued that unless the court delivers judgment on the leadership dispute before the deadline, the party risks being excluded from the electoral process.
The ADC further criticised INEC’s position, saying it contradicts the commission’s earlier actions and legal stance, particularly its recognition of the party’s leadership and involvement in monitoring its activities.
The party called on INEC to reverse the directive and resume normal communication, stressing the need to ensure a level playing field for all political parties.
However, INEC had earlier explained that its decision was based on a court order directing it to maintain the status quo pending the final determination of the case.
The ADC has been battling a prolonged leadership crisis since 2025, following disagreements over the transition from former chairman Ralph Nwosu. While Nwosu reportedly supported the emergence of the new leadership, his deputy, Nafiu Bala Gombe, insisted he should take over as acting chairman.
The dispute has since led to multiple court cases, deepening divisions within the party and raising concerns about its readiness for future elections.
Meanwhile, addressing journalists in Abuja, David Mark maintained that party activities would continue as planned, describing INEC’s action as unlawful and insisting the ADC remains committed to participating fully in the electoral process.
Advertisement