This handhout photograph taken and released on May 7, 2026 by the World Health Organization (WHO) shows its Technical Lead for Viral haemorrhagic fevers team Anais Legand speaking during a virtual press conference on the hantavirus cluster linked to a cruise ship travel, at the WHO headquarters, in Geneva. The World Health Organization said that more cases of the hantavirus could emerge but expected the outbreak to be "limited" if precautions are taken, after the disease killed three passengers from a cruise ship. (Photo by Christopher BLACK / World Health Organization / AFP) / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE - MANDATORY CREDIT "AFP PHOTO / WHO / Christopher BLACK" - HANDOUT - NO MARKETING NO ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS - DISTRIBUTED AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has reiterated that the risk posed by hantavirus to the general public remains minimal, even as international authorities prepare to repatriate passengers from a cruise ship affected by a deadly outbreak.
Three passengers from the MV Hondius — a Dutch couple and a German woman — have died, while others have fallen ill from the rare disease, which is typically transmitted from rodents.
Health officials confirmed that the Andes strain, the only hantavirus variant capable of human-to-human transmission, has been identified among confirmed cases, raising global concern.
The Dutch-flagged vessel, carrying about 150 passengers and crew, is expected to arrive in Tenerife in Spain’s Canary Islands on Sunday, where evacuation flights will transport passengers to their home countries.
WHO spokesperson Christian Lindmeier said the situation, while serious, does not indicate widespread risk.
“This is a dangerous virus, but only to the person who’s really infected, and the risk to the general population remains absolutely low,” he told reporters.
He added that early observations from the ship suggest limited transmission, even among close contacts.
“Even those who have been sharing cabins don’t seem to be both infected in some cases. That shows you again, luckily, apparently, the virus is not that contagious that it easily jumps from person to person,” he said.
The WHO reported five confirmed cases and three suspected infections linked to the outbreak, noting that no new suspected cases have been identified on board.
KLM crew member tests negative after exposure
In a key update, the WHO confirmed that a KLM flight attendant who had contact with an infected passenger and later developed mild symptoms tested negative for hantavirus.
The passenger involved — the wife of the first confirmed fatality — had briefly boarded a flight from Johannesburg to the Netherlands on April 25 but was removed before take-off. She later died in hospital in Johannesburg.
WHO described the negative result as encouraging, showing that exposure does not necessarily result in infection.
Lindmeier said the outcome was “good news”, adding that it reinforces that the virus does not spread easily through casual contact.
“It’s not spreading anything close to how Covid was spreading,” he said.
Evacuations and contact tracing continue
Cruise operator Oceanwide Expeditions said around 30 passengers, including the first victim, had earlier disembarked at Saint Helena, triggering extensive international contact tracing.
The MV Hondius, which departed Ushuaia in Argentina on April 1 for a voyage to Cape Verde, later reported suspected cases among passengers and crew, some of whom were evacuated to the Netherlands for treatment.
Passengers on board say medical teams have since joined the ship, with precautionary measures such as mask use and distancing in place.
YouTuber Kasem Ibn Hattuta, who is among those on the vessel, said morale remained stable despite the situation.
“We finally left Cape Verde, which was a relief for everyone on board, especially knowing that our sick colleagues are finally getting the medical care they need,” he said.
He added that passengers were “keeping high spirit” and responding calmly to the situation.
Repatriation plans underway
The ship has now cleared the Mauritanian coast and is heading toward the Canary Islands, where Spanish authorities will oversee evacuation procedures.
Officials say the vessel will anchor offshore at Tenerife, with passengers transferred to land via smaller boats before being flown home.
The United Kingdom has also arranged a charter flight for its citizens, with health authorities confirming strict infection-control measures will be enforced throughout the process.
UK Health Security Agency chief scientific officer Robin May said the arrangements were designed to ensure the “safe repatriation of British passengers on board.”
Meanwhile, health officials are also monitoring a suspected case on Tristan da Cunha, one of the world’s most remote inhabited islands, as part of ongoing surveillance linked to the outbreak.
Advertisement