InsightLinks See the story clearly
Explore News Politics Sports Crime and Metro Local News Entertainment Uncategorized World News Education Osun News
Sports

Pirlo confirms Italy manager talks collapse over betting company partnership

Andrea Pirlo has confirmed he is no longer in contention to become Italy’s next head coach, revealing that his proposed appointment collapsed over concerns surrounding his commercial partnership with a betting company.…

Andrea Pirlo has confirmed he is no longer in contention to become Italy’s next head coach, revealing that his proposed appointment collapsed over concerns surrounding his commercial partnership with a betting company.

The former Juventus, AC Milan and Italy midfielder broke his silence on Monday, expressing disappointment after reports emerged that he had been dropped from consideration for the role.

Pirlo had been widely tipped to succeed as Italy manager after high-profile coaches Pep Guardiola and Carlo Ancelotti reportedly ruled themselves out of the job. Italian media had also claimed the 47-year-old was close to signing a four-year contract worth €1.5 million per season.

However, the move failed to materialise after concerns were raised over his role as a global ambassador for Russian betting company Fonbet.

Italy has strict regulations governing the promotion of gambling-related businesses, and Pirlo’s commercial relationship with the company reportedly created a conflict with the national team role.

In a statement shared on his Instagram Story, the 2006 FIFA World Cup winner said he had remained silent out of respect for the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) and everyone involved in the process.

“Out of respect for the institutions, the federation and everybody involved, I have chosen to remain silent until now,” Pirlo said.

“However, after learning last night that I am no longer a candidate for the Italy national team head coach position, I feel it is necessary to clarify a few points.”

He admitted watching the public debate over his candidacy with “great bitterness,” insisting that throughout his playing and coaching career he had always complied with the laws of the countries where he worked and honoured every contract he signed.

Pirlo explained that his partnership with the betting company began while he was working in the United Arab Emirates and described it as “exclusively of a commercial and sporting nature.”

He also rejected suggestions that the business relationship carried any political significance.

“Attributing political meaning to this collaboration means attributing convictions to me that I have never expressed and that I do not hold,” he said.

“It is regrettable that a decision based on sporting grounds was quickly dragged into a public debate that ended up attributing motives and intentions to my name that never existed. My love for Italy does not depend on a job.”

Despite the disappointment, Pirlo thanked FIGC technical director Paolo Maldini and special adviser Leonardo, who reportedly backed his candidacy.

“I wish to thank Maldini and Leonardo for the respect and faith that they showed in me. I know their competence, their seriousness, and the love that they have always dedicated to Italian football,” he added.

The collapse of Pirlo’s appointment leaves the Italian Football Federation searching for a new coach ahead of the country’s upcoming UEFA Nations League campaign. Reports indicate the federation had hoped to unveil a new manager this week before the negotiations broke down.

Advertisement


Story timeline

How this story developed

Story network

Understand the wider story

Connected reporting selected by topic, category and recency.

Continue exploring

Follow the wider story

Discover related reporting, current updates, and the latest stories from InsightLinks.

Latest stories → More in Sports
Published July 27, 2026
Share Facebook X