Governor Seyi Makinde has confirmed that seven teachers were abducted during the recent attack on schools in the Oriire area of Oyo State, while authorities are still working to determine the exact number of pupils who may be missing.
The governor disclosed this on Sunday while briefing journalists on the security situation following the invasion of the schools by suspected gunmen. Before addressing the press, he held a meeting with service commanders and heads of security agencies to receive updates on the incident.
Makinde revealed that one Islamic Studies teacher lost his life during the attack. He also stated that security operatives had arrested six suspects within the affected community, along with three additional persons of interest linked to the incident.
According to the governor, the attackers are suspected to be members of armed groups escaping intensified military operations against terrorists and bandits in northwestern Nigeria.
He explained that as security pressure mounts in one region, criminal groups often move into other areas they consider vulnerable, warning that southern states must remain vigilant against such movements.
Makinde said he had been in contact with officials in neighboring states over the growing threat, stressing the need for stronger security coordination to repel or neutralize any fleeing armed groups.
Preliminary intelligence reports, he added, suggest that some of those arrested may have served as informants for the attackers within the affected communities.
The governor also said the state government would not rely solely on military force to address the crisis. He noted that consultations were ongoing with community leaders, religious figures, and representatives of the Nigerian Baptist Convention, since one of the affected schools belongs to the church.
Appealing for calm, Makinde assured residents and the families of the abducted victims that every effort was being made to secure their safe return.
Describing the incident as painful and deeply troubling, he announced that the state government would begin daily press briefings to keep the public informed about rescue efforts and ongoing security operations.
Advertisement