Fresh details have revealed how three teenagers allegedly attempted to detonate explosives at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital by concealing the device inside a food flask. Their plan was foiled when security operatives intercepted them at the hospital gate.
According to findings, the suspects believed to be suicide bombers, were aiming for the main hospital complex in what could have resulted in massive casualties among patients and visitors. However, they were denied access, and the explosives detonated at the entrance of the facility on March 16.
The explosions reportedly claimed at least 23 lives and left 108 others injured.
A hospital security guard, Ali Musa, recounted that the suspects described as poorly dressed teenagers arrived at the gate in a tricycle, commonly known as Keke Napep, pretending to be relatives delivering food to patients.
He explained that security had already been heightened following an earlier explosion near a post office. At the time, only two personnel were on duty while others were on break.
Musa said the suspects approached the gate at high speed, ignoring standard security procedures. Suspicious of their movement, he stopped them and ordered them to reverse. Though they initially resisted, they eventually complied.
As they reversed, one of the teenagers reportedly threw the flask at him. Musa said he kicked it away moments before it exploded.
“I heard a loud blast immediately after kicking the flask aside and quickly dropped to the ground. My hand was affected by the impact,” he said.
He added that while trying to assist a colleague who suffered a broken leg, another explosion occurred nearby, forcing him to take cover. Both his legs were later affected.
A nearby shop owner, who spoke anonymously, confirmed that the attackers intended to cause destruction within the hospital premises.
Meanwhile, there is no official breakdown yet of casualties specifically linked to the hospital incident.
Investigations also revealed that another explosion at Monday Market later that evening may have been carried out by a separate suicide bomber wearing an explosive vest.
An eyewitness, identified as Fati, described the scene as horrifying, noting that one victim was severely burnt, raising suspicions that he was the bomber.
Following the attacks, President Bola Tinubu directed military service chiefs to relocate to Borno State in response to the escalating security situation.
Subsequently, the Chief of Defence Staff, Olufemi Oluyede, and the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Waidi Shaibu, arrived in Maiduguri on March 18 to oversee security operations.
Saturday Punch
Advertisement